Progress has been made on the doll dress. First I took the doll’s teeny measurements (waist 3.5 inches!) and made a muslin petticoat.
Then I worked on customizing the Barbie pattern. I lengthened the skirt all over and added more length in the back for a slight train. I figured I would have a bodice/overskirt going over everything, so the waistband is just twill tape–didn’t want to add too much bulk. When you’re working on such a small scale, hand sewing gives more control.
I love the yummy shimmer of this silk, and it gathers really nicely!
The underskirt waiting to be hemmed. The ends of the twill tape are just turned under and stitched, with a snap closure.
Next, I made a muslin bodice, not pictured here. I realized the shoulders had to be dropped because of the doll’s ceramic hair being attached to her shoulders and getting in the way. I wound up modifying this later, but here’s the first version. I have to admit that I bought half a yard of green silk dupioni for the bodice and overskirt, so the dress is no longer totally recycled…..
I interfaced the back of the bodice pieces. For scale, it’s placed on a 1-inch grid.
The silk diamond pattern material is from a sample scrap from a tie factory, via Depot for Creative re-use (I have an entire storage bin full of such scraps waiting for some future project).
I lined it with the blue silk. I sewed all this on the sewing machine, which I regretted later when I had to alter the thing….
Meantime I started playing around with the green silk overskirt material.
Here she is with the half-finished bodice. There’s more to show & tell, but it’s late so I’ll save it for another post. Stay tuned!